Welcome to My Official Web Page!

Welcome to My Official Web Page!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Truth or Dare

I suppose this is in the spirit of New Years, but today we're going to talk about where we, as writers, have room to improve. And then tomorrow, after we've all bemoaned our writers' Achilles heels, we're going to strut our stuff and rave about what we do really, really well.

I'll go first. My biggest weakness is that I'm wordy. Words, words everywhere! And you know what's really sad? It took an agent and two beta readers to tell me that. Stephen King says to cut 10% of your first draft, but you know what? I've cut almost 20%!

Take that! (I'd do some sort of cool ninja move here, but I'm not that cool. The squirrel is waaaay cooler. I love squirrels!)

And you know what else? HATSHEPSUT is still too wordy. I like to get all poetic in some spots and then there are extra words that just clog up the pages. I'm working on it- finding glee in killing my darlings.

Now it's your turn, if you dare. What is your biggest weakness as a writer?